Examples of good e-Learning

I went with Stuart to St Cuthbert's College today and I am amazed. They have an awesome Moodle site up and running, and they're even using it along with Mahara (e-portfolio / social networking system). I'm buzzing. They seem like a really awesome, forward thinking school. They have made it compulsory for their teachers to use the e-Learning system, which I totally support. It's hard to move forward with things like this unless they are pushed down from management level. I should know...

I would include a link to their site, except that it is hosted internally, and for internal access only (as far as I could tell). I told them I wanted to steal their site and take it away, lol, because I wanted to really have a good look around and see what they're doing... but all I can say is... here is a school successfully using Moodle from Year 1 all the way through to Year 13. And yes, the Junior classes to have their Moodle pages, and there is stuff up on them. Proof positive that Moodle can be used for any age group.

Woot. I wanna play with Mahara now. I downloaded it, but the installation instructions bear closer scrutiny. Doesn't look as straight forward as Moodle to install, even though the code is based on the Moodle code. I think I will have to corner Duncan sometime to help me with that.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Miriam,

Thanks for sharing our experience. With LMS and portfolios it is usually very difficult to really take a look at them.

If you want to test Mahara, you could also go to http://master.dev.mahara.org/ and register there. We also have a demo site at http://demo.mahara.org/, but that still runs on version 1.2 whereas master.dev is always the latest. That is currently 1.3 which we'll be bringing out still this month.

Cheers
Kristina

M Laidlaw said...

Thanks Kristina, I'm heading over to the master.dev site right now to sign up. Stuart gave me access to a Mahara site of his, but of course there are only a small pool of people on there so I don't quite get the full effect. :-)

 
Home | DeviantArt | Art Blog | Twitter | About Me | Contact Me

Copyright © 2009 Flying Free |Designed by Templatemo |Converted to blogger by BloggerThemes.Net

Usage Rights

DesignBlog BloggerTheme comes under a Creative Commons License.This template is free of charge to create a personal blog.You can make changes to the templates to suit your needs.But You must keep the footer links Intact.