Moodle 2.0 files system... :s

I am excited about the prospect of Moodle 2.0, and I guess I see what they're trying to do with the files system... but all I can think is that they really want to make life difficult for teachers who already struggle with certain aspects of technology.

I work with teachers, some of whom are still on the cusp of understanding that files on their computer aren't automatically in Moodle, and when they update the files on their computer they must re-upload them to Moodle to make the changes. I have taught people how to save files into folders, and not just dump them into their My Documents folder, because that is an organisational nightmare.

Then I have a play with Moodle 2.0 and the files system nearly does MY head in. I dread having to take this to the poor teachers who are only just holding onto computer skills by the skin of their teeth. I really do. The total confusion of folders, sub-folders, Moodle-created paths to a file you're sure you uploaded some-damn-where... it gives me a sinking feeling in my stomach that those who I have tried to sell on Moodle because it's "not really that difficult, see..." are going to give up. I really do believe that.

Something needs to be done. Mark Dreschler wrote some suggestions in his blog that MIGHT just work... having a search function on the server files, AND being able to attach labels/tags to files, to make searching for them easier. Big thumbs up to those suggestions.

And I know there is a 'recent files' tab, but perhaps something that shows you all of YOUR own files that you uploaded? Without, that is, having to browse through a labyrinth of folders, sub folders, sub sub folders, and so forth.

Seriously.

0 comments:

 
Home | DeviantArt | Art Blog | Twitter | About Me | Contact Me

Copyright © 2009 Flying Free |Designed by Templatemo |Converted to blogger by BloggerThemes.Net

Usage Rights

DesignBlog BloggerTheme comes under a Creative Commons License.This template is free of charge to create a personal blog.You can make changes to the templates to suit your needs.But You must keep the footer links Intact.